Sunday, April 5, 2015

Marie laveau-Me and the Queen of Voodoo

In 2006 I was very lucky to visit the tomb of Marie Laveau  a  Creole woman known for her voodoo at St. Louis Cemetery Number One.  Marie was born in 1801 and died in 1881.  I am a huge fan of Marie Laveau. I read ghost stories about her tomb as a kid. In 2006 my family made the long trek from Texas to new Orleans, shortly after Hurricane Katrina.
   Marie Laveau is something of an enigma.  some say her legend was continued by her daughter of the same name. Her trade was that of a Hairdresser, but her most known calling was voodoo , she was the equivalent of  a High Priestess in Voodoo ( source-http://www.hauntedneworleanstours.com/marielaveau/marielaveauritual/tombphotos/) I have always had a fascination with Marie Laveau. I guess one of the reasons is because she was  woman with so much respect back in the day.  One thing I would like to add is St. Louis cemetery is now Closed to public Access, it was open to the Public back in 2006 when I went.  The Archdioceses of New Orleans closed it because of damage to tombs. I understand this decision. you can however visit the cemetery with a tour guide.  Also it is a crime punishable by law to leave any mark on Marie Grave or any other. Its disrespectful if you ask me. But outside of the law related stuff  I recommend a visit to this cemetery.




No comments:

Post a Comment