Friday, August 5, 2016

Sad Sam Gray of Van Alstyne Cemetery : Baseball Legend



I’m not much of a sports aficionado honestly. I was anxious to find the Grave of Mr. Samuel Gray purely from a genealogical standpoint. I am related to a few a few grays in Van Alstyne Cemetery. If I am related to Sam Gray I don’t know at this time. I,m still looking honestly.
Samuel David " Sad Sam" Gray was a Native of Van Alstyne Texas the son of James Alonzo and Eugenia Gray . He was a World War I veteran (TEXAS PVT 3 BN FRENCH ARTY. CAC WWI)   Sam was a pitcher in Major League Baseball playing for the Philadelphia Athletics (1924-1927) then for St. Louise Browns ( 1928-1934)  being a right handed fastballer. ( per his obit on find a grave )  His 1928 season was best year, as he pitched 21 complete games with a win loss of 20-12. ( Wikipedia)  He passed away in McKinney Texas in the Veterans Hospital of Carcinoma of the brain ( death certificate) I’ve been looking for the Grave of Sam Gray a while and a Friend pointed the way while at Van Alstyne Cemetery today. Sam's grave Is very nondescript for a person of his caliber of fame. He is buried towards to back Of the Moore Section by a few family members. The nearest stone near him is a Giant one that says Carter and Taylor.  I might also like to note there is a photograph or two of Sam Gray at the Van Alstyne museum, unfortunately I wasn't allowed to take pictures!!!

  Information from Wikipedia and picture Sam from google images.sources and more information are listed below. _______________________________________________________
 Sources and other information on Sam. 
Sams Find a Grave ( Click Here)
Grayson County Genweb for Sam Gray ( Click Here)  
Texas Gravestone Project listing for Sam Gray ( Click Here )  

No comments:

Post a Comment